Looking for Partnership
Looking for Lead Partner
Apart from the units mentioned above, our Centre involves other ones. For instance:
1. Genomics Unit. It carries out different lines of research:
- Strategies based on “omicas” approaches for the management of olive tree verticillium wilt: genes involved in olive tree tolerance for Porverticillium dahliae infection.
- HIV-1 infection latency: molecular mechanisms and gene therapy strategies using directed nanoparticles.
2. Marketing and Economic Unit. It involves:
- Consumer emotional intelligence (CEI): proposal of a measuring instrument and its application in the agri-food sector.
- Alive olive groves. Design and certification of olive grove reconciled to biodiversity.
- Challenges and competition possibilities of traditional olive groves in the province of Jaen facing the challenge of crop globalization: a benchmark in a mediterranean context.
- Challenges of olive oils efficient commercialization: correct labelling and use of advantages associated with a website.
- Analysing the use of ICTs by second-grade cooperativism and corporative groups of commercialization in the olive sector.
- Analysing the demand and perspectives of oleoturism in the province of Jaen.
- Analysis and decomposition of rituals from food products and drinks.
- Study of knowledge about olive oils of agents integrating the agrifood chain.
-Analysing the database "Trujal" and its possibilities to use it on market studies related to segmentation and marketing-mix of olive oils.
3. Robotics Unit, with the following lines of research:
- Development of advanced measurement techniques and control of the virgin olive oil production process for its optimization on the basis of perception and health criteria.
- Development of food supplements from olive orchard products aimed at human cardiovascular protection.
- Study of correlation consumers' taste- organoleptic properties of virgin olive oils according to characterization of electronic nose and tongue.
- Modelling and automatic control of virgin olive oil production process.
- Non-invasive system for automatic measurement of healthy components on intact olives, olive tree leaves and produced oil.
4. Ecology Unit. It does research on these areas:
- Carbon balance in olive orchard: effect of plant cover presence (CARBOLIVAR).
- Sustainable farms systems: Long-term socio-ecological metabolism in western agriculture.
- Carbon sequestration in olive orchard with plant cover.
- Analysing the effects of fertilizers based on camel, lamb and sheep compost on soil fertility and olive tree productivity in Saudi Arabia.
5. Epidemiology Unit. Lines of research:
- PREDIMED+DM: Effect of a low-calorie Mediterranean diet and promotion of physical activity on type 2 diabetes prevention in people with metabolic syndrome.
- Fibromyalgia and oxidative stress. Influence of olive oil
6. Biochemistry Unit. It includes:
- Molecular characterization of nitro-fatty acids in extra virgin olive oil (AOVE) obtained in different periods of olive tree fruit ripening process.
- Analysing signalling mechanisms by nitrated lipids during development and abiotic stress response in plants.
- Characterization and identification of extra virgin olive oils with a high nitro-fatty acids content as a quality factor.
7. Health Unit. Mainly it covers:
- METASIN. Research, development and innovation of new multifunctional foods for metabolic syndrome.
- Predimed-Plus study: diseases prevention through Mediterranean diet + EVOO.
- In vivo characterization of the effects of components from a food matrix based on byproducts coming from the olive oil extraction process in the development of metabolic syndrome.
- Studies of citotoxicity and antioxidant capacity of substances.