Z izobraževanjem nad demenco - Osveščanje. Zaznava..
Z izobraževanjem nad demenco - Osveščanje. Zaznavanje. Zaviranje.
Start date: Jun 1, 2015,
End date: May 31, 2017
Increasing numbers of people with dementia present a big challenge for the European Union and all its member countries in all aspects, including high costs of care, education and training for raising awareness and identification of dementia, and for preventing its progress.
According to the abovementioned problems, the proposed project aims to improve skills and qualifications of staff working in the field of development and delivery of educational programmes for raising awareness of dementia, improving its identification, and preventing its progress. The programmes are tailored to the needs and characteristics of different target groups (students in programmes Home care and Nursing, people with dementia, volunteers, members of dementia affected patients, and the wider public). During the project, the staff will acquire knowledge and experience in the following areas: motivation of the target groups to get them involved in the programmes, organization of education, and methods that ensure successful skills acquisition of target groups and providing relevant content in the programmes. The project also aims to improve the quality of participating adult education organizations, which can only be achieved by permanent staff training.
The project has two main objectives:
- to improve staff skills and qualifications for educational activities in the fields of dementia; and
- to develop educational programmes for raising awareness of dementia, its identification, and preventing its progress. The programmes will be tailored to the needs and characteristics of different target groups, and will incorporate contents and methods of motivation and delivery that can be recognized on the European level.
The project is expected to be beneficial for programme participants, participating organizations and target groups involved.
In addition to two staff mobilities to France and Sweden main activities set will obtain new effective contents to complement the existing educational programmes and developing new ones on raising awareness of dementia, its identification, and prevention of its progress which will be based on new knowledge and skills of staff gained during mobilitiy.
The consortium for the project Education beats dementia. Awareness. Perception. Inhibition. consists of three Slovenian public adult education organizations. All three organizations (i.e. adult education centres) aim to provide support to adults in the acquisition of knowledge and skills that an individual needs for successful functioning in the society and in gaining vocational qualifications. Each adult education centre is active in a different region of Slovenia, and able to provide services to a significant part of Slovenia. Strategic development of all involved parties is also focused on the development and supplementation of quality education programmes, recognizable on the European level, that ensure a high quality of life also in the third age.
The project results will have influence on staff working in adult education, participating organizations and target groups that will get the possibility of being included in effective topical programmes.
12 professionals working in the field of adult education will be included in the project:
- managers of educational institutions who will through mobility acquire new knowledge, learn of examples of good practice in developing programmes for raising awareness of dementia, its identification, and the prevention of its progress, of establishing systemic integration of education and social care, funding dementia-related activities and programmes, and collaborating with the wider community in this field.
- Adult education workers who will gain new knowledge and skills in planning and development of educational programmes and activities:
1. For health care workers, nurses and volunteers who work with dementia patients, family members of dementia patients, and the wider public;
2. For dementia patients who are residents in homes for the elderly or are in home care.
At the same time, they are going to acquire experience in motivating patients in early stages of dementia to obtain education in this area, which will consequently prevent dementia progress and ensure maintenance of social contacts (hard-to-reach target groups).
- Teachers/mentors who will acquire new knowledge and skills in the field of therapeutic activities, resources and work techniques, and in the use of specific methods for working with dementia patients.
All organizations included in the project will make the project results, i.e. new programmes, available to all organizations interested and will include them in future strategic development.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation