Youth Corner for Change Agents
Start date: Aug 1, 2015,
End date: Oct 31, 2016
How does society change? Through the course of the project volunteers will be trying to experientialy find the answer to this question and demystify the process by which an individual, group, community or an organization can become the agents of change.
Social change takes place on three levels: the individual, the organization, and the system. Through out project volunteers will experiment on how civic actions in which they will shape and take part in will influence all of those three interrelated levels. The volunteering experience will introduce them to a wealth of tools available to those who seek to create social change, whether on small scale or larger change in a community/society. The tools or the skills they will learn – are entirely transferable and indispensable whether one uses them at their job or in pursuit of individual mission to better the society.
The "Youth Corner for Change Agents " is a long term EVS project planned to take place over a period of 10 months from September 1st 2015 to June 30th 2016 in Zagreb, Croatia. The main objective of the project "Youth Corner for Change Agents" is to teach volunteers how different civic actions influence positive changes in coping with different issues (social, environmental, cultural, etc.).
Specific goals of the project are:
- teaching young people how they can influence social change (through immersion in the process and learning by doing)
- unleashing personal creativity in finding the right angle of approaching social issues and planning actions
- organizing activities in Youth Club T.O.Ć. for young people on subjects connected to social change
- taking part in environmental educational workshops and urban gardening workshops for children in elementary schools (with urban gardening expert and supervisor)
- promoting healthy and sustainable lifestyles (vegetarian diet, contact with nature, physical activity)
- foster intercultural learning and exchange through organization of Intercultural Immersion events
- organizing language courses and chat rooms (Croatian, German, English)
- promoting active participation among youth
- promoting voluntarism and youth mobility among local youth
- fostering European integration and embracing cultural differences
Following activities are planned to realize those goals are:
1. Intercultural Immersion Evenings in Youth Club T.O.Ć
2. Action Monday for Change Agents in Youth Club T.O.Ć
3. Movie Evenings in Youth Club T.O.Ć
4. Language Classes and Chat Rooms
5. Urban Gardening and Environmental Workshops with Children
6. Fall and Spring Urban Garden Party Events
7. Promotion of Youth Mobility
8. Office and Project Management
The project will be implemented on several locations in the City of Zagreb and realization of its activities will bring together 3 volunteers from 3 countries (Germany, Serbia and Moldova) who will work together in Croatia with our staff, youth active around Youth Club T.O.Ć. (Transformational & Educational Corner) and teachers and children from primary schools.
All methodologies used will promote active participation, learning by doing, non-formal and informal education. The main methods will be: experiential learning, cooperative learning, participatory learning, transfer of expert experience, peer learning, brainstorming, buzz groups, team work, team building and energizers, presentations, case studies, Open Space Technology, evaluations, debates, presentations, individual work, social interaction.
Long term benefits of the project will be reflected in personal empowerment of volunteers for taking an active role in bringing change in the society and inspiring others how to do so, rise in application of sustainable practices in everyday life, and popularisation of urban gardenening among children, youth and young adults. Project will encourage volunteers and local youth in wiser use of their free time in ways that will be fun but at the same time support their personal development. They will be inspired to take part in other mobility projects, increasing their levels of intercultural understanding, European awareness and cosmopolitan spirit.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation