Volunteering for Visibility and Inclusion
Start date: Jul 1, 2015,
End date: Oct 31, 2016
According to various researches and statistical data Lithuania remains one of the most homophobic countries in Europe. The situation of LGBT youth is extremely complex: they often experience bullying at school, tensions within their families and do not have any positive role-models around them. This can often lead to the development of psychological problems and sometimes even suicides. Such social exclusion is particularly felt by LGBT youth living in smaller cities and towns of the country. In order for the situation to improve the empowerment of the LGBT community in general and LGBT youth in particular is crucial so that they could start to actively participate in the democratic processes of the country when aiming at equal rights and non-discrimination. The increased visibility of the LGBT community in the society becomes extremely important too.
The main goal of this EVS project is to join the long-standing experience of LGL with the ideas of the volunteers in working towards developing the ways and means for increasing the active participation of the LGBT community. This is planned to achieve by increasing their visibility and active participation in democratic decision making processes with a particular focus on youth. The two EVS volunteers will be actively involved in the work of LGL: one of the volunteers will be active in the area of visibility and publicity and the second volunteer will be active in the area of LGBT community building. One of the main work priorities for both volunteers will be the organisational work related to “Baltic Pride 2016”.
The main activities of the EVS volunteers include:
- publishing newsletters, articles and preparing other relevant information in English for the LGL websites (www.lgl.lt, www.atviri.lt);
- assisting in the implementation of international youth projects;
- organising various activities for LGBT youth (e.g. volunteering presentations, game nights, movie nights etc.);
- organising meetings for the LGBT community;
- working together with the volunteer coordinator and assisting in finding prospective volunteers;
- assisting in organising various LGL events (festivals, seminars, concerts, discussions etc.), social as well as advocacy campaigns;
- assisting in administrating existing projects (communication, document preparation etc.);
- brainstorming new ideas for potential future projects;
- presenting EVS and international volunteering to local LGL volunteers and LGBT youth in general;
- assisting in communication with current and prospective partner organisations;
- monitoring and analysing sociological, statistical and judicial data relevant to the work of LGL;
- assisting in preparation and participating in “Baltic Pride 2016, coordinating certain areas (such as accommodation of the participants, catering, correspondence with our partners, sponsors, guests etc.)
The project will be extremely useful for the volunteers as they will be actively involved in the work of LGL and will thus have the opportunity to understand the significance of human rights activism. They will therefore be a part of spreading European values, active citizenship and democratic virtues. Last but not least, volunteering will help them to become future leaders in their home countries.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation