Up Skilling the Professional Career of Maltese Den..
Up Skilling the Professional Career of Maltese Dentists
Start date: Jun 1, 2015,
End date: May 31, 2016
The Upskill_Malt_Dent Project is an Erasmus Plus KA1 Project for Adult Education dedicated to 8 members of staff of the Dental Association of Malta, such members are all professional dentists and their role is also to take part to professional training sessions and to enhance and foster the CPD for the dental sector (Continued Professional Development) in Malta.
The Dental Association of Malta represents 75% of Dental Surgeons who work and live in Malta and through this Mobility Project, the Association cooperated with AIO Roma, the Italian Association of Dentists, for carrying out a programme of a professional development and training activities, focusing on the main subjects relating to the dental sector and to the improvement of the CPD (Continued Professional Development) system in Malta, for establishing permanently a good practice and an innovative methodology for the professional up skilling and training of Maltese Dentists.
The participants of the Upskill_Malt_Dent Project had the chance to experience a theoretical and practical training programme of 10 days in the Dental sector hosted by AIO Roma.
Italian and English were the official languages for communication during the mobilities in Italy.
Participants of the project received full support regarding the booking of flights to and from project destination, transfers to and from airport, local transportation tickets, insurance coverage, accommodation, meals and a full training programme.
The participants also received a period of preparation before the mobility: a Brief Refresher Course about the actual contents of CPD courses currently run in Malta by the Dental Association and some cultural awareness and preparation focusing on the hosting destination and on its main peculiarities.
These were the specific objectives of the Upskill_Malt_Dent Project:
• Improve the quality of service offered to patients in general in Malta
• Improve individual skills and knowledge of staff and their contribution to a more cohesive society
• Strengthen the cooperation between the word of training and the word of work for the dental sector
• Foster improvements, innovation and excellence in the care of the patient supporting a more efficient health system
• Improve the quality of the teaching to professional dentists for the CPD courses and improve a better professional approach and handling patients
The main objective of the Upskill_Malt_Dent Project with regards to the needs of the participants were:
1) Support Staff in acquiring practical experience in a specific professional sector, while acquiring competences, such as knowledge and skills, with a view to improve their personal development and professionalism in international context
2) Strengthen social inclusion and integration and raise participants’ awareness and understanding of other cultures and countries
3) Improve communication and sharing of good practices within the European space
4) Enhance social and cultural awareness through integration and cooperation
5) Apply elements of ECVET and validate credits acquired during the period of mobility to ensure a better recognition of competences gained through the learning periods abroad
6) Reinforce synergies and transition between formal, non-formal education and professional training
In addition the Upskill_Malt_Dent Project pursued the following priorities as described in the introduction chapters on "Education and Training" and "Youth" in Part B of the “Erasmus+ Programme Guide” of the European Commission:
1) Developing basic and transversal skills in all fields of education and training
2) Developing partnerships between education and employment
These are the expected results in terms of skills and competences acquired by the participants of the Upskill_Malt_Dent Project:
1) Enhancing employability and improving career prospects
2) Increasing sense of initiative and entrepreneurship
3) Increasing self-empowerment and self-esteem
4) Enhancing intercultural awareness and more participation in society
5) Increasing awareness of the potentiality of European project and of the EU values linked to it
6) Increasing motivation for taking part in future formal/non-formal education or training once, the mobility has come to an end
7) Improving processes of recognition and validation of competences gained during the training abroad
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation