The magic of old traditions
Start date: Jan 1, 2015,
End date: May 31, 2015
The Stifting Buitengebied Drogeham organises active and educative farm visits, school visits, excursions, work camps etc. on the organic farm and nature park "Hamster Mieden". An important goal of the farm is to educate children and adults to be more involved in the sustainable management of the natural environment. Due to busy and hectic lives people become alienated from nature, children spend much time behind the computer. On the farm, the kids are busy with all kinds of educational and nature activities. Also, children who need extra care are welcome in the so called 'guest weekends'. The mission is: "Enjoying and learning to appreciate animals and nature by running the farm in partnership with others - both young people and adults - in a socially responsible manner.
The main objectives of this youth exchange are:
- To facilitate the individual growth of the volunteers through the acquisition of work, life and learning skills.
- To get involved in a sustainable management of the environment.
- To foster mutual understanding between young people from different surroundings.
- To discover different cultures and learn from the local community.
To achieve these objectives, specific goals have been developed:
- To help with cutting trees as one way out to protect nature and landscape
- To investigate using wood as one way of sustainable way of living
- To discover a work on an ecological farm.
- To work in small groups to strengthen the relationships between the participants and promote mutual respect.
- To organize activities to let the participants introduce and share their cultural backgrounds and discuss about their common concern for issues within European society.
- To discover the differences ash as one of old tradition festival in celebration coming spring and Easter across participants nationalities.
There are 4 organizations from Italy, Romania, Turkey and the Netherlands involved in this project: . The partners have been chosen due to their experience in volunteering programs and their aim to foster active and responsible citizens. Each one will be in charge to select 28 volunteers with the aim of having participants among the different parts of Europe, enhacing the cultural exchange between them and promoting intercultural understanding and mutual respect.
The main tasks of the organizations will be:
- Previous to the exchange: to select volunteers regarding their motivation and transmit thought short activities/meetings what does it mean to participate in a youth exchange.
- After the exchange: to organize an event with the participants to share and show their experience and knowledge with other youth, to disseminate the project and the values implicit in it.
he next days, the tasks developed are divided in 2 areas:
- In mornings half of the group will help with cutting down trees in the area. The Participants will learn why is the cutting down trees necesary for landscape and nature, what species is possible to cut. Following the volunteers will learn why is now days still ussefull the drowning by wood from economical and sustainable point of view.
- The second half of the participants will do farming tasks. The participants will take care of the animals in the farm and will learn about gardening. This will provide them an idea of an alternative and sustainable way of living, focusing on the respect for the nature balance.
- Within cultural will the volunteers explore old traditions in celebrating the ash. As an important factor in holding old traditions between young people.
- afternoons preparation final parade (costumes and etc). in Drogeham
- Cultural exchange and personal growth (evenings): games, activities and debates will be organized to socialize among the group, to share cultural aspects from the different countries of the volunteers and discuss the issues concerning our society (some of them planned by the staff and the others depending on the wishes and petitions of the participants).
- last day will held the session about youthpass and its tools. The participants will have a chnce investigate all advtages which are flowing from ownership off the youthpass.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation