Start date: Jun 1, 2015,
End date: May 31, 2017
INTRODUCTION: PHILOSOPHY OF OUR SCHOOL
For years, IES Sabinar has followed a clear pedagogical direction, which aims to help our students in their personal and professional prospect. Two of our key points in the development of our school plan are the promotion of European citizenship and improving communicative competence in English, both being essential for the students' development in our current, changing global society.
REALITY, METHODOLOGY AND IDENTIFIED NEEDS
After analysing the reality of IES Sabinar, on the basis of a methodology for sharing of identified shortcomings, and taking into account the objectives that we set with respect to the development of European awareness and learning foreign languages, we have identified the following needs:
- A better methodological training for teachers involved in the school bilingual project.
- A better training in new technologies for language teaching subjects.
- More effectiveness against school dropout and development of a methodology for teaching adults.
- A real European perspective for teaching English as a foreign language.
- To improve the training of our teaching staff in effective English teaching methodology.
- To enhance the teachers' digital competence by using ICT applied to teaching.
- To improve our students' communication skills.
- To develop strategies for motivation and dropout reduction.
- To promote European awareness among the educational community.
PARTICIPANTS AND PROPOSED ACTIVITIES
Phase 1 (PREPARATION): Needs analysis. Proposal for training and selection of participating teachers.
Phase 2 (TRAINING): Mobility of teachers:
- "European Course for Teachers of Music". Course provider: International Study Programmes (ISP). Location: Gloucester (UK). Dates: 6 to 14 February 2016. Participant: 1 Music teacher.
- "Using Technology for Teaching English". Course provider: ISP. Location: Cardiff (UK). Dates: 11 to 23 October 2015. Participant: 1 English teacher.
- "Course for Teachers of English to Adults: Creative Activities and Motivating Materials for TEFL". Course provider: ISP. Location: Cardiff (UK). Dates: 18 to 30 April 2016. Participant: 1 teacher of Adult Education.
- "Study Visit Programme / Training Seminar in Finland". Training provider: English Matters. Location: Helsinki (Finland). Dates: 17 to 23 April 2016. Participant: 1 English teacher (bilingual programme coordinator)
Phase 3 (APPLICATION): Implementation, dissemination and evaluation. Staff involved: School Director, Secretary, Head of the Department of Training, Evaluation and Innovation, Coordinator of the bilingual programme, area coordinators and the teachers participating in the training activities.
EXPECTED RESULTS AND IMPACT
With this project, the IES Sabinar expects to achieve the following results:
- Enhancement of methodology and current materials.
- Improvement in the application of new technologies to the teaching of language subjects.
- Preparing new outreach programmes for the promotion of the English language and Anglo-Saxon and European culture.
- Providing reliable contacts for possible future educational projects with other European schools.
- Dissemination of the experience among teachers, the educational community and our environment.
EVALUATION AND PROSPECT
We will evaluate all project phases (selection process, choice of training activities, dissemination strategies ...). In particular, we will analyse the level of implementation of new methodologies in different subjects and courses, as well as the students' improvement of English language skills through interaction, class observation and different assessment tests.
Certain long-term benefits are expected, ie. The improvement of our students' language proficiency, a greater involvement in projects of European development, progress in the methodology of adult education, a wider perspective of the importance of English in Europe, and the awareness of being part of the EU.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation