Petit citoyen européen de la mer
Start date: Jun 1, 2015,
End date: May 31, 2016
1. Context and objectives:
We are Petit Paris school gathering a nursery school and an elementary school. 230 pupils are divided into nine classes: 4 nursery classes and 5 elementary classes. The school is situated in a popular district of the city of Brest. We welcome pupils of varied origins.
In the school, 60 % of the teachers are able to teach English (2 are in nursery school, 4 in elementary).
From September, 2015 till 2018, the city hall of Brest goes into a strategic partnership with the city of Plymouth within the framework of an Erasmus +project. Our school will take part in this partnership.
We wish that two teachers of our school participate in the course organized by SILC in Oxford in October, 2015.
This course is for our school, our team, an axis of an essential preparation to this strategic partnership.
Indeed, this partnership will ally our school to a school of Plymouth. To take advantage at best of this exchange to come, we need a linguistic but also cultural experiment. This exchange with Plymouth will link the teaching teams of both countries but also the pupils.
This course Erasmus + will thus allow both candidate teachers of:
- Strengthen and improve language skills in English
- Discover new educational approaches.
- Pursue the development of the experiment of two of our colleagues having benefited from the formation in Oxford in October, 2014.
- Strengthen the consciousness of European citizen.
For the pupils of our school:
- On the return to this formation, the teachers can propose English in non-linguistic subjects like PE, Arts ,choir via the interdisciplinarity. The pupils will so live the English learning in an approach of actions from 2 to 11 years old.
- Through the project city hall of strategic partnership with Plymouth, we shall exchange with our English correspondents, the situation of communication will be then real and very rewarding:
- Project " young reporters of the arts, the sciences and the environment ";
- Project " week of the science " and philosophy;
- Creation and representation of a musical in French-English language
- Project " spring of the poets ".
2. Number and profile of the teachers:
Among 6 teachers able to teach English in our school, we chose to be candidate in the course in Oxford : the headmaster of the school and the teacher workingin 3 classes of variouslevels of nursery school and elementary. This choice answers the desire to federate and revitalize the whole team around the English learning from the youngest age and in non-linguistic disciplines, but also to carry on the impulse introduced by the departure of two colleagues in October, 2014.
3. Methodology of the project management
This "European" project is followed by our Inspector of the Education and the educational advisers, as well as by the international mission of the city of Brest.
4. Description of the resultsand the envisaged impacts:
- Further to two weeks of course in Oxford, the teachers will expose to the school and to the laic patronage of the district their experiment (blog, photos, videos, journey diary, bedsongs for children, albums of youth literature)
- The pupils will expose their works in arts and sciences on the theme of the sea to the school, to the patronage, to Océanopolis and will exchange these works with their correspondents of Plymouth through Etwinning.
- The musical show will be opened to the families of the school and the district.
The pupils will become actors in their English learning.
5. Long-term potential profits:
The school so makes acommitment in a dynamics of English learning in interdisciplinarity. We wish to see our pupils speak in a more natural and uninhibited English language.
The teachers able to teach english but also 4 others want to improve their language and cultural skills. The strategic partnership of our city with that of Plymouth plans moments of formation or dumping for all the team (discussions in English, visit of the school of Plymouth, meeting in Brest and to Plymouth of both teaching staffs, meetings of the pupils to Plymouth and in Brest).
This course in Oxford will be the continuity of that made last year, anchoring our school in an European perspective. International classes are recently born in certain French elementary schools, we can then ask to ourselves the question of the bilingualism for all in a project of success of the pupils.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation