OTRA VISTA 3
Start date: Jun 1, 2015,
End date: May 31, 2017
Otra Vista 3 is a development of Otra Vista and Otra Vista 2, Stockton Sixth Form College's successful Leonardo da Vinci Mobility projects in 2010-2011 and 2013-2015, when valuable lessons were learnt in relation to mobility project management, which have informed this application.
The project will send 16 young people at the end of studying full time towards a Level 3 vocational qualification in Travel & Tourism to the hotels of our host partner, Hotel Marina Tossa, on the Costa Brava in north-east Spain, for work placements in hotels traditionally patronised by predominantly UK tourists. Split across 2 academic years (8 vocational graduates per year) the participants will have the opportunity for a vocationally relevant and practical work placement experience in Spain, something that they have limited or no access to in the College's local vicinity due to the lack of a well developed tourist industry, and which will add significant European value to their UK learning and achievements. The project will not constitute part of the standard curriculum, but will be added value subsequent to the completion of their Level 3 course, forming a transitional period to work or to further/higher education.
The main aims are that the participants will:
- work in a tourist oriented hotel environment as a super-numerary member of staff, guided and mentored by a dedicated local trainer provided by the host partner, and undertake tasks that are relevant to their studies previously undertaken in the UK, and to their future career choices.
- learn sufficient conversational and vocationally specific Spanish to enable them to cope with daily working life;
- gain a first experience of living and working in another country, including learning about a new culture;
- improve their soft skills such as self-confidence, working with others, communication skills, self-esteem and independent living skills.
The expected outcomes include:
- participants who are 'work ready' with practical experience of working in the industry most closely related to their studies in the UK;
- young people with enhanced 'soft skills' making them more employable across a range of jobs in the UK
- a CV enhanced by working in another country, thus demonstrating independence and good communication skills;
- successful completion of Edexcel's NVQ Level 1 Spanish prior to departure from the UK.
Other possible outcomes include:
- offers of work from Spanish work placement providers;
- progression to appropriate and relevant HE provision.
The mobilities will take place in 10 week blocks commencing at the beginning of July 2015 and again in July 2016, with a group of 8 participants on each occasion. Concentrated cultural and linguistic preparation will take place during June 2015 and June 2016.
As a result of feedback from the UK national agency on the 2010 project, a Spanish language qualification has been added to the vocational programme as an obligatory ingredient for all travel and tourism students: participants will have been learning Spanish throughout the previous academic year and will take an NVQ Level 1 in Spanish before departure
Participants will also be assessed on their key vocational competencies whilst on placement by the host partner and will be issued with a certificate by the host partner hotel group, recognising and logging the specific skills acquired, in addition to the completion of the Europass Mobility, CV and Language Passport documents.
Young people with disabilities have always been actively encouraged and supported to participate in the previous projects, in line with the College's stated policies on inclusion, and this policy will continue in Otra Vista 3.
Otra Vista 3 is positively endorsed by the College SMT, which has developed an international strategy to provide maximum exposure for learners to both work and life experiences outside of their home country, and ultimately to produce active European citizens.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation