Newcastle College Sports Academy Programme Enhance..
Newcastle College Sports Academy Programme Enhancement & Exit and Progression Opportunities
Start date: Jul 29, 2014,
End date: Jul 28, 2015
This project focuses on enhancing and improving the training and development of students at the Newcastle College (NCL) Sports Academy, a department which gives talented athletes an opportunity to fully develop their sporting potential whilst also achieving vocational qualifications.
Supplementary to this is an aim to provide greater exit and progression opportunities for students upon completion of the Sports Academy programme. Students are finding it increasingly difficult to secure opportunities for further employment or education within the sport sector, especially with regard to opportunities to compete at a professional or semi-professional level.
The group of participants are 42 students at Newcastle College who are part of the NCL Sports Academy programme, an initiative which gives talented athletes an opportunity to fully develop their sporting potential whilst also achieving vocational qualifications.
The main emphasis of the training content will focus on the enhancement of participants? Academy sports performance programme via the transfer of European practice. Using the specific objectives identified during the individual pre-visit assessment, participants will be monitored and assessed in four key areas linked to their sporting performance.
The placement duration has been set at 14 days, towards the end of the Italian football season in May 2015. The timing of the placement will allow participants to observe Italian football at the highest level by attending Serie A/B matches.
The expected results of the project are as follows:
- Enhancement of the NCL Sports Academy programme both in terms of improved technical sporting quality of students and coaches, and also student achievement rates in their vocational qualifications
- Cultivation of strong relationships with Sportilia, with adoption of practices and techniques on both sides
- Positive impact on the local community and the wider area through coaching sessions with the local youth sides, attendance at games etc
- Improved exit and progression opportunities for NCL Sports Academy students, both within sport and outside of it, and in the UK and Europe
- Improved cultural and linguistic skills of students, facilitating openness to new opportunities both in the UK and Europe
- Improved Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PTLS) of students, linked closely to the college?s concept of the ?expert? student, providing them with life skills and experience that can be utilised throughout their education and careers
- Wider implementation of best practice across the NCL Sports Academy programme.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation