Learning through different cultures
Start date: May 10, 2015,
End date: Sep 9, 2016
Project theme: Rural development/ Media and communication
Number of Participant:1
Type of EVS project: office based project (80% + 20% field work)
Duration: 12 months
Project languages: English/French, Romanian/Russian
Location: Chisinau, Moldova
Profile of participant:
There were no specific requirements regarding volunteer’s profile. Most importantly, the volunteers should have:
• Basic English/French
• Motivation to work at rural development project
• Open-mindedness, creativity, honesty and serious attitude
The objectives of our project are the following:
- To encourage sustainable rural development
- To develop eco-responsible tourism
- To provide employment to local population
- To develop local economy
- To encourage participation of youth in sustainable development
The project implies collaboration and direct contact between people of different nationalities and cultures, it develops solidarity, promotes tolerance among young people and fosters mutual understanding, it also means helping to integrate young people into a multicultural world.
Project aims to develop and to promote eco-responsible and ethical tourism in Moldova, especially in a small Horodiste community situated the North of the country. This type of tourism gives the opportunities of jobs and income for the population and focuses on the value of cultural identity, the conservation of the environment, and the development of social projects.
The volunteer will work on online guide “Ethical Tourism in Moldova”, and maintain the blog. She will make a series of video and photo reportages about life of people in rural zones, traditions and celebrations, unique and beautiful places to visit. All these materials will be published in online guide and blog.
The European volunteer will help to stay in touch and assit the preparation of the voyages of international volunteers and scouts coming from Europe within the framework of solidarity travels. These young solidary Europeans come to Horodiste community with their projects which concern different fields: culture, crafts, agriculture, ecology, education and promotion of solidarity between people.
The European volunteer will be also involved in fundraising for eco-pension project, preparation and distribution of aid for vulnerable rural population and organization of cultural events.
The project provides a wide range of learning opportunities and develops different competences:
- Getting to know how to write, implement and run a project
- Getting basic knowledge about web management
- Developing own ideas, realizing their personal interests and abilities, taking the initiatives.
- Getting to know how to work and to live with people with different cultural backgrounds
- Getting to know how to deal with foreign people with different points of views and experiences and with conflicts
- Getting to know intercultural specificities of Moldova
- Improving communication skills
- Getting to know how to work by himself/herself and plan the day.
The project will contribute to the promotion of volunteerism, non-formal education, inclusion and youth co-operation. By developing eco-responsible tourism in the village of Horodiste, the volunteers will make a significant impact on the income, (which is usually very low), of the population of this small village.
The volunteers will acquire a unique experience which would help them in their future activities and would give them the impulse to continue working in rural development and civil society fields.
Also, as much as possible the volunteers and the staff of the organisation will try to provide more information and support to other organisations, youth association and young people, who would like to participate in or contribute to EVS project.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation