Learning Path Stompers
Start date: Feb 1, 2015,
End date: Dec 31, 2015
Learning Path Stompers - Group EVS brought together 10 volunteers from Spain, Netherlands, Greece and Belarus to work and learn together as an international group for 21 days in June 2015 in Hyvärilä Youth Centre, Nurmes, Finland. The main task for the group was to create interactive learning paths in the nature surroundings of Hyvärilä together with the local young people (kids camps, youth workshop and outreach youthwork groups) and the Hyvärilä youth workers. The group used Geocaching techology to set up learning tasks (for visitors of Hyvärilä and local community) in the forest paths nearby, at the same time revitalizing the paths for better accessability.
The project cooperated also local actors of youth work to be a part of the project. Nurmes local youth work's (camps for kids in June), youth workshop's (daily activities) and outreach youth work's (small groups visiting) activities were combined to interact with the group of volunteers, and they also took active part in the making of "learning paths".
The aim of the project was to create new innovate outdoor education tools used in youth work, through the following set of objectives:
For the community and Nurmes and Hyvärilä Youth Centre:
- "Gamification" of nature paths - Using Geocaching technology to set up a set of learning activities in the nature
- Combine international and outdoor education methodology for the groups / people visiting the Youth Centre surroundings
- Inspire young people to go to the forest and experience nature through gamification
- Expose local young poeple (from Youth hous, youth workshop, and outreach youth work) international activities for local young poeple
For the EVS volunteers:
- Learn about the traditions and meaningful history of nature paths in Finland
- Learn about "how to set up learning activities" within the setting of non-formal education
- Experience Finnish nature, and intercultural surroundings
- Learn to use the Geocaching technology and sport
- Competence development of the volunteers, linking to social skills, intercultural awareness and non-formal learning.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation