KIDSLAND is an EVS project that will have a true impact of the EVS volunteers, participating organisations target groups and all relevant stakeholders.
It take place in Sighisoara, Romania, between 1st of November 2015 to 1st of August 2015 (9 months), involving 10 participants, 2 from every sending organisations. Out of these 10 participants, 2 will fall under the category of participants with fewer opportunities.
The applicant and hosting organisations is Wild Carpathia, while the sending organisations are: You in Europe (Greece), SEIKLEJATE VENNASKOND (Estonia), i-PEICC peuple et culture (France), ASOCIACION BUILDING BRIDGES (Spain) and Canakkale Koza Genclik Dernegi (Turkey).
The context of this project is given by the fact that many youth from the countries represented in this project (those young people who fall in the category "Neither in education employment or training - NEET) have difficulty in entering the labor market. They are expected to have work experience, recommendations from previous jobs and practical training that they are not able to accumulate from the formal education system. After the completion of any form of education, each year spent outside the labor market can determine a lower motivation, a lower confidence in their competences and in others, a growing disinterest in the community that seems to have abandoned them and a loss of the basic skills acquired in school, by not exercising them. On the other hand children in kindergartens and children coming from disadvantaged social and economic backgrounds have difficulty in acquiring age related competences.
For the 10 EVS volunteers that will be part of the EVS mobility in Sighisoara/RO, the objectives of KIDSLAND includes:
- The acquisition of those basic skills necessary for a better transition from school / unemployment to active life (including the labor market);
- The acquisition of those basic skills useful for resource persons interested in getting actively involved in the sending organizations;
- The acquisition of basic skills required for a manifestation of solidarity with those in need.
The main activities of this project include 4 sets of activities:
1) STORYLAND: 1) creative workshops to manufacture useful materials in capitalizing the stories, games and songs for children in the countries of origin of the EVS volunteers. Examples of METHODS: story cubes workshop, puppets workshop, masks workshop, boardgames workshops, workshops to create other objects that can be used in storytelling. These workshops can be done in two manners: the first one just in small groups of EVS volunteers or the second one, including the children from kindergartens. 2) creative workshops addressed to the children in which the volunteers will explore the support objects previously created. Examples of METHODS: theatre workshop, storytelling workshop, singing and dancing workshops, crafts workshops, games workshops, improvising workshops, etc.
2) STORYLAND PLUS: personalising the walls of kindergartens with drawing/pictures representing some stories and cartoon characters from the countries of origins of the EVS volunteers; creating some wooden/ cartoon models of cartoon characters from the countries of origin of the EVS volunteers, or of universal cartoon/stories characters that the kids can paint afterwards; creating a Toy Library or improving the existing one, etc. Examples of methods: painting and drawing workshops, fretwork wokshops, crafts workshops, etc.
3) HAPPYLAND: the EVS volunteers, with the support of Sighisoara City Hall and of the local volunteers, will identify children coming from disadvantaged social/economic backgrounds and will develop local solidarity campaigns in their favour. Until the end of the mobility, the volunteers will create an online support system (for example a blog or a Facebook page) for fundraising, mainly locally, both online and offline for this category of children. Examples of METHODS: fundraising campaign, online and offline promotion, crowd funding campaign, public events and presentations, etc.
4) HAPPYLAND PLUS: the EVS volunteers will organise one to one activities (1 EVS volunteer – 1 child coming from a disadvantages social and economic background), for example they will take them to the cinema, theatre, concert for children, playground, citadel, sports, etc, to increase their confidence and their self-esteem and to show them a more bright side or life that they could not fully experience due to their precarious situation.
The main results of the EVS volunteers will be the competences that will help them integrate on the labour market. As far as the children included in the target group are concerned, the main results in their case will be the improvement of their lives and the acquisition of some age related competences. On the long run, we hope several organisations will be inspired by this project and will get involved in several similar initiatives.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation