Start date: Sep 1, 2014,
End date: Aug 31, 2016
The iRemember project intends to share, adapt and experiment at the European level the "Laboratory of memory", a laboratory model of intergenerational activities (involving teachers/tutors , students and seniors), aimed at updating the skills of teachers/trainers and improving alternative and informal learning of history in schools. Each "Laboratory of memory" will focus on the theme of "conflict" (eg . Transition between communism and market economy in Romania, "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland, etc.. ) and the results obtained from the intergenerational laboratories will be virtualized through the Haatch online platform.
The project consists of:
- A Methodology for managing intergenerational learning laboratories;
- A training course for teachers/tutors;
- An online training program for students;
- A virtualization process of the laboratories.
The iRemember Methodology aims to:
- Provide teachers and trainers a major competencies/skills upgrading through a sustainable and interactive tool for non-formal and alternative teaching/learning of contemporary history
- Support the interaction between generations involving senior citizens and young people as main actors addressing emerging issues (conflicts) with historical roots but with concrete impacts on present times
- Support the social inclusion of older citizens involving them in laboratories, storytelling experiences with younger people allowing them to share their personal memories and stories, acquiring a external views on those facts and actively contributing to the creation of a “common memory”
- Support the inclusion of young people in democratic life through a participatory and active citizenship approach
- Foster the use of ICT and web 2.0 tools to create a shared, social and participatory “common memory” about specific topics and issues
- Define an effective tool to be used in conflict resolution policies and activities.
It will be composed by:
- A methodology for trainers (tutors) for the design and management of activities (laboratories) involving older citizens and young people.
- A set of storytelling training techniques
- An online platform (Haatch) for the virtualization and online sharing of common memories related to places and events as narrative content, publicly accessible through any device connected to the Internet.
The project strengthens the cooperation between partners, defining and sharing a model of intergenerational laboratory of memory involving:
- Teachers/trainers: subjects with innovative skills in the field of design and management practices of teaching and social inclusion;
- Senior citizens: subjects with experience, knowledge, memory and mediation skills;
- Young people (students): subjects with in digital environments and hybrid spaces, material and virtual, with a capacity of revision and creation of sources of information and shared narratives.
The main output of the workshop will be an innovative and informal methodology for teaching history. The project will also virtualizes the laboratories of memory (realized through a specific tool developed by the University of Rome "La Sapienza") and the metadating of the materials produced by the encounter between the young and elderly. The project therefore aims to share and adapt this method in order to establish an effective and sustainable tool for the informal teaching of history, the social inclusion of the elderly and the sharing of experiences and points of view between the elderly and young people with the meta- objective of preserving memories that would otherwise be lost.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation