Improving the Environment with The Conservation Vo..
Improving the Environment with The Conservation Volunteers
Start date: Aug 1, 2015,
End date: Jul 31, 2017
The Conservation Volunteers are an environmental charity and seeking 8 EVS volunteers to be involved in projects at our Bangor County Down office from late summer 2015 to early 2017.
The project has 4 objectives:
1. To host 8 European volunteers from Germany, Italy, Spain and Denmark over the next 24 months, with each volunteer undertaking 6 to 9 months of service.
2. To advertise the opportunity and in partnership with the sending organisations. identify volunteers, achieving a gender balance and also inclusion of volunteers with fewer opportunities.
3. To involve the volunteers in three main environmental projects in:
a) TCV’s native tree growing project.
b) Working at local environmental projects undertaken by our Conservation Action Team over a radius of about 20 miles around, including improvements to urban open spaces, school grounds, and other sites.
c) Supporting our environmental training project.
4. To offer each volunteer the opportunity to undertake a personal project, for example taking on to help design and run improvements to a particular school or designing the improvements for a particular site, or helping with publicity and social media.
The project will have many positive results at the local level including:
• Improved environment.
• Increased biodiversity.
• An improved local landscape.
• Improved health for those actively involved.
• Local people will have the opportunity to meet somebody from another European country and until quite recently very few Europeans would have visited Northern Ireland for any significant length of time.
The outcomes for the volunteers will include:
• Understanding of conservation issues.
• Understanding of ways to communicate the environmental message to the public.
• Learning practical environmental skills.
• Understanding of the environment.
• Understanding of living in another country and culture.
• Working as part of a team.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation