Fair Trade education and awareness
Start date: Jun 17, 2014,
End date: Dec 16, 2015
Context and background of the project:
Fair Trade is an alternative approach to conventional world trade, a partnership between producers and consumers, based on mutual benefit and respect which ensures that producers in the South receive a fair price for their work and gain better access to markets in the North. It aims to tackle the long term problems of the South through sustainable development for excluded and disadvantaged producers. We want to rise the awareness of the population of Luxembourg towards the social conditions of those disadvantaged mostly rural producers in the South and to develop a sense of empathy with them.
Objectives of the project:
The project's objective is to allow a volunteer to have an overview of the awareness raising issues of an NGO, both on national level as well as on the international level of the Greater Region. The candidate will see the various tools of sensitization which we set up and may develop her/his ICT and language skills.
Number and profile of the participant:
Fairtrade Lëtzebuerg may host 1 volunteer for 12 months in Luxembourg. The candidate should have background interest in fair- trade and in North–South relations in general. The candidate needs motivation to work independently, to be open minded towards people and have an idea about voluntary service (want to help, to learn, having new experiences). She should be eager to learn something new and relating to fields she has hardly come in touch with before.
Activities' description as realised upon completion of the project:
- a large variety of office related duties and awareness campaigns, small translations from French into German.
- assistance in the preparation and implementation of the campaign "Fair Trade Chocolate Festival", editing short articles on the theme of chocolate, partner search within Luxembourg, support in the implementation of awareness-raising activities, presence at the Christmas market and other events, participation at and implementation of events with the fairtrade youth group.
- national awareness rising campaign "Lëtz Step to Fairtrade" and "Fairtrade Market", organization support and local partner search.
- sales support in the World Shop half a day each week.
- assistance in www.fairtrade.lu website updating including a training with our webmaster, management of the database, assistance to the editorial staff of the homepage and the newsletter "FairTrade News" by implementation of articles with photo, etc.
Results/impact/longer term benefits:
An immediate result among others is a large learning effect on the volunteer who may acquire or deepen her/his ICT knowledge, language and trading skills and thus increase its employability on the labour market.
As the EVS activity's aim is increasing the awareness of the population to fair-trade products, increasing sales figures make third world producers benefit from EVS directly, which finally is the desired impact and long-term benefit on an international level.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation