Start date: Jun 1, 2015,
End date: May 31, 2017
In order to cope with the multilingual and multicultural society in our surroundings, it is necessary to implement some developing processes concerning the comprehensive quality of our educational offer as well as of the internationalization of our school. To manage that, it is essential to improve the linguistic competence not only of our staff but also of our students and, at the same time, to enhance the European vision of our methodology, resources, and identity. This fact will have a direct effect on the improvement of our second language teaching methods and on the dissemination and knowledge of other cultural and social models around the world. It will improve the linguistic competence of our students and will promote the reorganization of the teaching and learning of the scientific subjects in the English language.
This increase in our students' and family's satisfaction, due to the improvement of the curriculum, will undoubtedly help us with the need of optimizing the social cohesion in our educational community, reducing the school dropout rates in our higher courses and answering to the training and professional needs of our surroundings where tourism is the main career opportunity.
The project “Experimenting Science” consists , in short, of teaching some scientific subjects in the English language as an essential part of the purpose of improving the linguistic competence of all our students body. Little by little, as we may have access to the proper formation, the implied areas in the project will be increased. Thus, the better the quality of our formative offer is, the better our goals will be achieve and, as a consequence, the more the satisfaction and interest of our students, families (social cohesion), and stuff (professional fulfilment) will be, encouraging, this way, a virtuous circle.
The five participants in the project meet the following profile:
– Show a totally willingly disposition in taking part on the project.
– Have a demonstrable professional interest in applying the English language in their classes.
– Assume the responsibility of improving their linguistic competence in the English language.
– Are open to new technologies, educational proposals, grading systems, and other possible modifications that the group team may consider.
– Suggest how the English language my become the lingua franca in the teaching of their subject.
– State their commitment to stay in our centre until the project finishes.
– Take part in the project work team.
The work team, composed of the participating teachers, the Head of the English Department, two members of the administration of the High School, and two representatives of the Parents Association, will supervise, assess and take any possible decision concerning the preparation, management and evaluation of the final project.
An initial profile will be established for each of the participants satisfying the following items:
– Linguistic competence in the English language.
– Academic management
– Teaching and learning methodological strategies.
– Resources and materials to teach the subject.
A current initial level will be fixed for these items and, for each participant, we will establish some required improving level according to their capacities, possibilities and aptitudes. This register will also be used to choose the activities to carry out during the project and the final evaluation.
The main activities the participants will go through are the following:
– English language and culture courses.
– Study of new teaching and learning methodologies.
– Contact with other educational centres sharing similar projects.
The preliminary preparation consist of including in the participant's timetable 1,5h sessions to work on:
– The presentation of the project
– the presentation of the different tools such as the CV Europass or the European languages Passport.
– The establishment of the objectives and activities for their achievement inside the project.
– The proposal of evaluative activities for the project and for the acquired knowledges.
These are the numbers of the expected impact:
5 teachers are participating directly in the project.
52 teachers will get the feedback of the experience and the proposals for modifying the methodology or contents anyhow.
200 secondary students will see their curriculum improved by next year after the establishment of the project in the Science lessons and, at a second stage, the incorporation of the collaborative work with other European centres.
500 preschool and primary school students that, at a second moment, will see their academic curriculum modified and increased in value with the presence of the English language and the new team work methodologies with other educational centres.
And in a direct way, all the educational community will get the best out of a project they have participated in.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation