Escolas do Baixo Alentejo- A caminho da liderança
Start date: Jun 1, 2015,
End date: May 31, 2016
The consortium project entitled "Schools of Baixo Alentejo - A way to leadership," meets the concerns of the City Council of Alvito regarding the inadequate management of the institutions and the alarming early school leavers in the region, which is a social and human problem feeding situations such as social inequalities, precarious jobs, low productivity and low competitiveness that are reflected in society and in the development of the country. In addition, the aforementioned project is based on official documents of the General Education Inspection- IGEC and on the autonomy contracts, the latter identifying gaps in the institutions, the most relevant being the weak human resource management in educational organizations of the consortium (AECuba and AEVID), and also related to the number of years that lead ahead the institutions (over 15 years). Antagonistically, the direction of AEAlvito reveals inexperience in such positions. For the three institutions, the profile of their directions endangers the normal operation of schools, for the inefficiency or downgrade in school management processes. In addition, early school leaving has been a flagellum in the Alentejo region, with rates well above the European average (EU -11,9%; Portugal - 19,2%; Alentejo - 25%). This is a serious problem for the Portuguese schools, jeopardizing the teachers' careers, with fewer students at school, but with a lot more in the classroom (increasing of the 0 schedules) and an obstacle to development, due to the lack of labor skills, contributing to the desertification of the interior of the country, already plagued by an ageing population. Thus, the project's main objectives are:
- Improve the skills of principals / managers of school organs;
- Reduce early school leaving in the institutions;
- Increase the educational success of students at the schools;
- Adopt specific measures to combat early school leaving in the institutions;
- Enhance official documents that govern the functioning of the institutions.
Of the total number of mobilities, they will be 19 divided into 2 flows, 8 participants in the first and 11 in the second flow. The chosen training courses meet the pressing needs of the institutions and the respective modular castare consistent with the identified gaps at the schools. The 2 training courses are:
- "Human Resource Management in Education Institutions", organized by the training entity "Dorea Educational Institute" in Cyprus - Limassol;
- "Current Issues in Education - Early School Leaving", promoted by "ITC- International Training Center", UK-London.
Both institutions have extensive experience on teacher training, the "staff" is highly qualified and shows great professionalism and foresight to clarify doubts. The feedback has been regular and permanent with the consortium.
Regarding the profile of the participants, and meeting the specific needs of the three schools, the selection will fall on members of the directions of schools and teachers or psychologists who are in direct contact with students in order to be able to identify, signal and act effectively towards early school leaving situations.
Participants will have 5 preparatory language sessions every 6 weeks, they will be present in preparatory meetings and public presentations of the project. There will be a mid-term review of the project on the 6th month and participants will be supervised by the project coordinator. However, on the local formation there will be training providers who are responsible for tracking and monitoring the work done by the trainees.
For the expected results in the project, these are embodied on:
- Greater coordination between different departments and levels of education in the institutions;
- Update school management strategies in the different institutions;
- Introduction of preventive measures to combat early school leaving in the institutions;
- Development of a combat manual of school leaving, based on the OECD report;
- Change / improvement of official documents governing the activities of the organizations in order to improve the functioning of the schools.
The benefits in the long term of the consortium shall be the following:
- Reducing school failure;
- Recovery of students who had left school;
- Application at the schools of the region, of the proposals present in the manual produced by the consortium;
- Greater productivity and efficiency in the services provided by the schools;
- Decrease in cases reported to the committee of child and young protection - CPCJ;
- Greater social cohesion in communities.
The project will be coordinated by the City Council of Alvito, and the President will be the interlocutor of the training entities and the supervisor of the participants. The project will be uploaded in the CM Alvito website and will be managed in the eTwinning platform.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation