Enhancing Language and Intercultural Competencies ..
Enhancing Language and Intercultural Competencies of Italian Teachers (ELICIT)
Start date: Jun 1, 2015,
End date: May 31, 2017
ITET “Pio La Torre” is one of the main technical secondary school on Economics and Tourism in Palermo, Italy. In order to open our school to Europe, in the past we took part to the following e-twinning and Comenius activities in French. Last year we hosted a group of fifteen students coming from Iskenderun, Turkey, thanks to a “Leonardo Da Vinci” European mobility project.
The main areas for improvement are as follows:
New teaching methods
Improving language competences
Description of activities:
+ Phase 1 (Preparation, July 2015 to September 2015): The develpment of all necessary preliminary stages for selecting and preparing the school staff for their involvement into the project. These activities will be carried out mainly at ITET Pio La Torre by the school staff.
+ Phase 2 (Instruction, October 2015/November 2015): The selected teachers will attend the following courses,
at IPC (Exeter, UK):
- CLIL for Secondary Teachers: The course will comprise personal language development, classroom language and presentation skills as well as techniques to help teachers deliver their subject content in English. Participants will be helped to create lesson plans for teaching specific subjects and will be introduced to techniques which can be adapted to suit their classroom context.
- Developing Oral Fluency in the Secondary English Language Classroom: This two week course explores techniques to motivate and encourage secondary level learners to use the language as a tool for real communication. Personal language development concentrates on oral fluency and colloquial English. Methodology concentrates on practical ideas for teaching Secondary level students.
- Better English For Teachers: designed for teachers who wish to improve their knowledge of the English Language as well as their ability to use English more confidently and accurately.
and at UEC (Riga, Latvia):
- European Diversity Education: The course will focus on diversity at school and society and how these affect facilitation of a group, a team or simply a class. This seminar will give the necessary motivation to educators, consultants, coaches and other professionals to look at diversity and group dynamics and how these dynamics change and evolve as time passes.
- Inclusion in European Context: The seminar will provide insights to participants as to how to better use and utilize their unique talents when facilitating groups or teaching classes within a European context. These different talents can add to the life of the group, facilitating the inclusion process in multicultural learning environments.
- European Entrepreneurship Education and creativity: Entrepreneurship is one of the key objectives of the EU's policy Education and Training 2020 Creativity is one of the key objectives of the EU's policy Education and Training 2020.
+ Phase 3 (Sharing, January 2015 to April 2016): ITET Pio La Torre will undertake to the role of organizing and coordinating the process of sharing the acquired knowledge among the two teams of teachers involved in the project.
+ Phase 4 (Dissemination, May 2016 to June 2017): This phase will be carried out mainly with the specific support of CEIPES. In particular three levels of dissemination are planned:
- Local Dissemination (Internal to ITET Pio La Torre, May 2016 to September 2016);
- Regional Dissemination (From ITET Pio La Torre to other Schools in the Region, October 2016 to March 2017);
- National Dissemination (From ITET Pio La Torre to other Schools/Educational Associations in Italy, April 2017 to June 2017)
Number and profile of participants
The most suitable candidates for the mobility according to their competencies, skills and relevance to the project content will be selected and informed about the process of the mobility. The most important criteria for the selection can be summarized as follows:
a. Professional profile and educational background.
b. Professional experience in certain areas and need for professional development in the specific field that this mobility project addresses.
c. Area of responsibility and need of acquiring specialist knowledge required by their working field
b. Willingness to participate in the placement and gain the most out of their participation in the proposed mobility project.
Methodology to be used in carrying out the project
The participant of the course will
− have improved competence of the use of colloquial English.
− Use of working methods of cooperative learning to have more effective meetings.
− Improved knowledge of other European educational systems.
− Improved insight of differences and similarities between European countries, resulting in a better understanding and respect.
− develop an understanding of the concepts of diversity and culture in European context
− acquire a number of skills and competences for dealing with diversity in education
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation