DESIGN, DEVELOPMENT AND PILOT TESTING OF FREELY AC..
DESIGN, DEVELOPMENT AND PILOT TESTING OF FREELY ACCESSIBLE ONLINE EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL, FOR A COMMON GROUP OF MODULES INTENDED FOR "FOOD SCIENCE" STUDENTS
Start date: Sep 1, 2014,
End date: Aug 30, 2017
In the era of Europe 2020 Strategy, for overcoming the socio-economic crisis affecting European countries, of boosting growth and jobs and of fostering social equity and inclusion, this project aims to use the potential of Europe’s human and social capital originating from higher education’s institutes and the industry, in order to exchange and transfer knowledge and know-how in food science and technology education, by the creation and development of a network that will provide opportunities for cooperation among stakeholders.
This partnership consists of 4 higher education institutes, namely Technological Educational Institute of Thessaly (Greece), Catholic University of Portugal, Cyprus University of Technology, University of Leon (Spain) and Technological Educational Institute of Athens (Greece). All higher education partners have been previously successfully involved in European Education Projects and it is aimed to blend experience and good practices previously acquired in order to make steps forward for enhancing the quality and relevance of the learning offer in food science and technology education. Additionally this partnership includes an IT Specialist Partner originating from the industry (SystServ), a Dissemination Specialist (ANKA) and also has a series of collaborating partners from Food Industries from the participating countries for developing case studies material for training purposes. Universities, national and regional development and education agencies will also act as collaborating partners in order to facilitate the dissemination of the project’s outcome.
The general objectives of this project are:
1. enhancing the quality and relevance of the learning offer in education by developing new and innovative education approaches and supporting the dissemination of best practices in food science and technology education
2. promoting innovative practices in education by supporting personalised learning approaches, collaborative learning and critical thinking, strategic use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT), open educational resources (OER), open and flexible learning, virtual mobility and other new pedagogies
3. increasing labour market relevance of learning provision and qualifications and reinforcing links between education with the world of the food industry
4. improving the capacities of the participating universities in the areas of strategic development, quality of learning provision and internationalization
The project is based in the following key activities dealing with Research and Training needs Analysis to evaluate the training needs in Food Science and Technology Study Programmes in European Higher Education Organizations, in order to ensure that EU labor has the skills and knowledge to face the emerging food sector market related to non conventional foods (namely functional, nano, organic/eco) production, food safety and regulatory affairs, marketing and entrepreneurship. Relevant to the needs training material and case studies will be developed and uploaded on an on line learning platform to be constructed by the partnership, introducing innovative education training materials for EU Universities, by enhancing the potential of the agri-food sector for the production and promotion of functional foods in Europe (including all the ethical and safety aspects).
In summary the expected results include:
1. Intellectual outputs (training material and case studies) based on exchange of good practices (technology and pedagogical)
2. Blended mobility for creating the material and pilot test the proposed teaching method
3. Intensive study/training programmes
4. Dissemination of teaching methods/materials
The impact of the project has to do mainly with the development of an innovative and quality training program in the emerging fields of food science and technology, using entrepreneurial and marketing opportunities simultaneously, as a mean for enhancing competitiveness, pro activeness and extroversion in the participating countries. Thus, the project will give the opportunity to develop the existing intellectual property of the stakeholders and create new knowledge in specific fields, leading to a knowledge intensive business. Furthermore, the project wishes to develop an innovative multimedia based training program that will act as a multipurpose tool for academic purposes, research, merging industry with academia, networking and synergies development from the participating countries and internationally, that will remain active beyond the course of this project.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation