Community media for activated citizens
Start date: Jul 1, 2015,
End date: Nov 30, 2015
Active participation of young people is always in need for new initiatives and creative approaches and community media are a field to be explored. Community media are great tools that empower civil society organizations and community groups with the tools to communicate their message to a wider audience. Community media should be utilized in every day youth work, to promote and support youth participation in the respective communities and help to outreach wider population with its projects. The leading idea of this project is to equip youth workers with tools to motivate active participation of young people in community development initiatives. This will be ensured by using youth-friendly community media and by developing ideas for initiatives that will be later on shaped, changed and implemented by young people, with the support of their youth workers and youth leaders. In that sense, this project will develop competences of youth workers not only in using different tools and methods for achieving active involvement of young people, but also for maintaining their interest and ensuring long term participation.
The main aim of the project is to develop competencies of youth workers to support active citizenship of young people in community contexts through use of social media tools and methodologies.
Main objectives are:
• To explore active citizenship from participants own experience and the resources and opportunities available to address issues of concern through democratic, civil and civic engagement
• To explore possibilities for utilization of community media for youth activism
• To reflect on non-formal education and its methods and their applicability within community media setting
• To develop creative and attractive ways to apply community media for youth activism, with a special emphasis on civic engagement
• To identify local opportunities for community engagement and to design and develop an action plan for use of community media in the local context.
Community media for activated citizens” is scheduled to take place 20-26 June of 2015, with 30 youth workers/trainers coming from 8 different countries: Cyprus (HOSTING), Spain, Malta, UK, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ukraine and
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation