" Bougeons notre avenir au rythme du Carnaval et ..
" Bougeons notre avenir au rythme du Carnaval et de la Capoeira"
Start date: Feb 1, 2015,
End date: Mar 30, 2016
The Communauté d’Agglomération de l’Espace Sud Martinique (CAESM), a public body of the south part of Martinique (French overseas territory in the Caribbean), decided in 2012 to implement a project called in Creole « Kan’naval Nou » or « Our Carnival » in its English translation. This project originated in the observation of the undeveloped potential of our carnival as a touristic product and a local economic development opportunity. The success of neighbouring countries like Brazil, which developed a real expertise in the carnival industry are examples to follow.
It is a matter of fact that:
* Our south territory represents the more touristic potential of the island,
* Each year we organize a parade in the south during Carnival for “lundi gras”
* A lot of young people participate in carnival but not in an organized or professional manner,
* Unemployment and social difficulties are a heavy burden on our population, and especially in the youth population who can lose hope in the future.
We decided to use the Youth Exchange programme of Erasmus+ as a first step of this global project. Portugal and the partner Associação Cultural Ginga Brasil Capoeira, are the ideal choice for us to get a first touch of the lusophone culture hence of Brazil and its famous carnival.
Aims & Objectives
• Develop the artistic sensitivity and capacity of the young Portuguese and Martinicans, through capoeira initiation and discovery of Martinique’s carnival culture
• Engage the young Portuguese and Martinicans in an artistic collaborative activity around capoeira and carnival themes
• Stimulate the consciousness of cultural similarities and differences through dialogue and debate between the young Potuguese and Martinicans
Young people from the south territory of Martinique and Portugal with less-opportunities, aged between 18 to 30 years old, with a strong interest in culture, arts & craft and carnival fields.
This youth exchange between the young Martinicans and Portuguese will be implemented this way:
• Workshops: Capoeira initiation, Carnival music & rythm, “flash'mob” preparation
• Photo gallery on Martinique Carnival (History, specific characters, parade groups, costumes)
• Debate : Integrating into the EU culture being from an immigrant background or an overseas territory, women in street arts...
• Field visits (museums, cultural centres, schools, festivals)
• Blog creation and management by the youngsters
Use of arts, culture and dialogue as means of integration in the society for young people with less- opportunities from immigrant background or from European overseas territory.
For the target group:
• Better self-confidence
• Culturally open-minded
• Better educational and career planning or job search outlook
• New artistic inspiration with the use of capoeira or carnival sub-culture
For the stakeholders:
• Better networking with the local partners on European mobility
• Discovery of new ways of working and methods for both partners
• New experience of a project management using the Erasmus+ programme
• Cultural discovery and exchange for both partners
• Implementing the international mobility policy especially for the youth of the South territory of Martinique
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation