Be The Change
Start date: Jun 1, 2015,
End date: Sep 30, 2015
In the past few years a number of organisations have been a part of youth worker networking opportunities in Germany and Hungary. Through these gatherings strong relationships have been built and a growing commitment to working together to develop joint youth projects at a European level.
Building on these relationships it is our goal to bring together 42 participants from 6 European countries - Romania, UK, Germany, Spain, Belgium and Hungary, to participate in a multi-lateral youth exchange focusing on celebrating our European identity, sport and outdoor activities and the mobilisation of young people in volunteering. The exchange - 'Be The Change', will take place in Romania in the village of Sutor where we will be based at the 'Asociatia Exodus' Romanian centre. The exchange will run from the 1nd - 10th of August 2015 with the main language being English, although where necessary, translation will be provided.
1. To provide cross cultural informal learning experiences to young people through European partnership and co-operation.
2. To enhancing social and cultural understanding and interaction between people of different genders, cultural and economic
3. To enhance European youth provision through partnership.
4. To promote a health lifestyle among young people through participation in outdoor activities and active team games.
5. To promote volunteering and an awareness of the needs of disadvantaged groups and individuals.
The programme will include:
1. Community Challenge Experience: An opportunity for groups to engage with the local community in Romania.
2. A Seminar Programme: Focusing on harnessing the potential of young people within the European community in the area of
3. Transylvania Trek: The young people will have the opportunity to walk through the hill country of rural Transylvania, visiting a series of communities, learn from a shepherd in the hills, participate in experiential learning, enjoy a healthy and active lifestyle as well as learn camping and survival skills.
5. Service Projects: These will include;
- 'Summer Kids Clubs' in both Romanian, Hungarian and Roma communities.
- 'Home Visits' (visiting local families distributing food parcels).
- 'Acts of Kindness' - practical acts of kindness within the centre at Sutor and in the local community.
6. European Community Festival: The groups participating in the exchange will host a community festival in the village hall in Sutor.
This will include country displays, traditional music, ballooning, crafts, face painting, etc. This is an event for all ages.
7. Big Games: This is an opportunity for participants to engage in and experience a range of sporting and fun activities from each culture represented.
This project will involve a wide range of young people from developing countries and rural and urban backgrounds. It is
anticipated that the overall experience within the exchange will increase a spirit of inclusion, developing a respect for difference
and diversity. encourage volunteering, promote sport and outdoor activities and enhance youth work provision.
Long Term Benefits
1. Increased cooperation at a European level between youth organisations.
2. New joint projects will be birthed by this exchange.
3. An increase in volunteering amongst young people.
4. Increased participation in sports activities, particularly in the outdoors.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation