Start date: Jul 1, 2014,
End date: Jul 1, 2016
Stonework is well known in Lithuania from the old times and it is currently especially popular. Marble and granite are quite expensive in our region, layers of these materials are found only in other EU countries, while fieldstone masonry remains the most popular in Lithuania. The students of Lithuanian vocational schools start getting introduced to the stonework and bricklaying at the second course already, however the main material of their work is still a brick.
While participating in various projects and visiting other EU countries’ vocational schools both students and teachers have noticed, that the trainees of these countries have quite a good workmanship in stone masonry and have lots of experience in the sphere. In order to gain stability in the labour market speciality, personal creativity and uniqueness are very important to students, i.e. if he/she can offer his/her exceptional abilities, competences to the market. Builder profession provides an excellent basis for being a successful employee, but for good results the most important is motivation and constant improvement. Proceeding with the idea of the present project stone masonry would be the improvement of these exceptional abilities and acquiring competences in this sphere.
For all-round preparation of a good professional students have to be provided not only with an opportunity to familiarize with achievements in new technology and material usage sphere abroad, but also be provided with an opportunity of direct work with the newest technology, modern tools and other building equipment and facilities used there during their practise. Through the previous projects in Germany and Italy we have seen some masonry subtlety using a stone as the main material and the wish of students to improve the present sphere impels the initiation and search of support for placements to improve practical knowledge in other EU countries, as our vocational schools have insufficient teaching infrastructure in this sphere.
Thus the main aim of the present project is to improve students’ practical and theoretical knowledge in masonry using natural and artificial stone adjusting hand and mechanical tools in practise, and encourage the creation of harmonious and ecological methods using natural resources in construction sphere, applying natural stone in modern architecture, in more detail: using shale, clinker in façade decoration, using bonding materials (whitewash, cement, clay and other), stone decisions in interior and exterior, home decoration, paving, rock-gardens, fountains and etc. , improvement of practical skills in other vocational schools and companies, quality evaluation and ensuring, improve students’ social skills: appropriate communication skills, perception of employee and employer interrelationships in new surroundings, peculiarities of team work, exchange of practical experience, general improvement of European competences.
Participants of the project: building restorers, finishers or other construction speciality students from Klaipeda Construction School, Public organisation Vilnius Builders’ Training Centre, and Kaunas Social Service Centre. Every mobility would be 3 students from every vocational school and one accompanying person. Total amount of participants is 27 and 3 accompanying persons.
Foreign partners: Germany, Turkey and Malta organisations.
1. Prepare a report package on the following topics:
- Peculiarities, differences and similarities of fieldstone masonry in Germany, Turkey and Malta;
- Usage of various materials (brick, stone: natural, artificial and other) in masonry in Germany, Turkey and Malta;
- Finishing stonework: technology application for inside and outside finishing works in different EU countries.
2. Present the reports in the closing seminar using Power Point;
3. Gained new relations with EU teaching organisations and companies will strengthen the cooperation between schools;
4. After every mobility the accompanying person shall present his/her colleagues with the impressions of the mobility and introduce the accepting organisation. Information on the progress of the project shall be presented on the webpage.
Project information will be published:
- in our and partner websites (www.statmokykla.lt, www.profcentras.lt, www.vsrc.lt and other);
- the information received during the mobility will be shared in a closing conference, inviting not only partner institution participants and teachers, but also company representatives that schools collaborate with. All accumulated material: reports, pictures, participant impressions (recorded into CDs or other data carriers) will be given to building speciality members for usage as supplementary methodical material spreading the experience to other students;
- after the implementation of the project the report on the progress and results will be sent to the local and regional press (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation