AIM SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE UP
Start date: Jun 1, 2015,
End date: May 31, 2016
Education and training activities play a very important role in providing people with the necessary means to participate actively in the labour market and in society at large. Following on from past success, Havering College of Further and Higher Education, is a champion promoter of all the various means of mobilities that prove to be of tremendous benefit to our learners' career prospects both in a national and transnational context.
The project engaged 2 groups of Level 2 and 3 students to participate in a 2 week work experience in Malta, from 2 curriculum areas - Automotive & Electrical Engineering and Hair & Beauty during April/May 2016, in total 24 learners. There were 2 accompanying persons with each group and the destination country was Malta.
The main objectives of the project achieved were:
1. Improving the level of competences of the participants with a view of improving their employability and addressing skill gaps of qualified electrical and motor vehicle technicians and hair and beauty personnel
2. Development of soft skills including self-confidence, self-reliance, communication, problem-solving, flexibility, social skills etc.
3 Supporting the internationalisation in the college with a view to enhance the international dimension of the education and training at Havering
4. Fostering better cultural understanding
5. Improving the quality of, and encourage the creation of new ways of, collaboration between the world of education and the world of business
6. Address unwillingness of UK students to travel outside the UK and encourage subsequent participation in mobility activities, included in higher education
7- Improve the attractiveness of VET as a whole
Results and feedback were overwhelmingly positive and participants benefitted from their carefully selected work placements with employers that could offer them work experience in line with their training received so far and provide practical experience in areas the participants were wishing to specialise in. Hair and Beauty students were give the opportunity to work for a well known chain of hair salons and work at Malta Fashion Week which was a particular highlight and provided a very real motivation for these students. Motor Vehicle students had the opportunity to work with established garages and dealers such as Audi, BMW, VW and Seat. Electrical Installation students were working in with high profile employers also, such as the Playmobil factory, 4 star Dormen Hotel and the refurbishment of the 5 star Hilton Hotel. This provided invaluable experience to the participants who have, since their mobility, gone on to further study, apprenticeships or full time work in the UK. Many are now more European minded with an increased appreciation of different cultures and would seriously consider working and living abroad in the future.
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation