The present call for proposals is subject to:
the availability of the funds after the adoption of the budget for 2017 by the budgetary authority.
1. OBJECTIVES AND DESCRIPTION
This notice is based on the Regulation No 1295/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11/12/2013 on establishing the Creative Europe Programme (2014-2020) and its corrigendum of the 27/06/2014 1.
Within the field of reinforcing the European audiovisual sector's capacity to operate transnationally and internationally, one of the priorities of the MEDIA Sub-programme is to:
increase the capacity of audiovisual producers to develop European projects with a potential to circulate throughout Europe and beyond, and to facilitate European and international co-production.
The MEDIA Sub-programme shall provide support for:
• the development of European audiovisual works in particular films and television works such as fiction, documentaries, children’s and animated films, as well as interactive works such as videogames and multimedia with enhanced cross-border circulation potential;
• activities aiming to support European audiovisual production companies, in particular independent production companies, with a view to facilitating European and international co-productions of audiovisual works including television works.
2. ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS
This notice of a call for proposals is aimed at European companies whose activities contribute to the attainment of the above objectives, and in particular to independent audiovisual production companies which have been legally constituted for at least 36 months prior to the submission date and that can demonstrate a recent success.
Applications from legal entities established in one of the following countries are eligible as long as all conditions referred to in Article 8 of the Regulation establishing the Creative Europe Programme are met and the Commission has entered into negotitations with the country:
− EU Member States and overseas countries and territories which are eligible to participate in the Programme pursuant to Article 58 of Council Decision 2001/822/EC;
- Acceding countries, candidate countries and potential candidates benefiting from a pre- accession strategy, in accordance with the general principles and general terms and conditions for the participation of those countries in Union programmes established in the respective Framework Agreements, Association Council Decisions or similar agreements;
- EFTA countries which are members of the EEA, in accordance with the provisions of the EEA Agreement;
- The Swiss Confederation, on the basis of a bilateral agreement to be concluded with that country;
- Countries covered by the European Neighbourhood Policy in accordance with the procedures established with those countries following the framework agreements providing for their participation in European Union programmes.
The Programme shall also be open for bilateral or multilateral cooperation actions targeted at selected countries or regions on the basis of additional appropriations paid by, and specific arrangements to be agreed upon with, those countries or regions.
The Programme shall permit cooperation and joint actions with countries not participating in the Programme and with international organisations which are active in the cultural and creative sectors such as UNESCO, the Council of Europe, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development or the World Intellectual Property Organisation on the basis of joint contributions for the realisation of the Programme's objectives.
Proposals from applicants in non EU countries may be selected, provided that, on the date of the award decision, agreements have been signed setting out the arrangements for the participation of those countries in the programme established by the Regulation referred to above.
3. ELIGIBLE ACTIONS
- The development activities for the following audiovisual works are eligible:
- Feature films, animations and creative documentaries of a minimum length of 60 minutes intended primarily for cinematic release;
- Fiction projects (one-off or series) of a total duration of minimum 90 minutes, animation (one-off or series) of a total duration of minimum 24 minutes and creative documentaries (one-off or series) of a total duration of minimum 50 minutes intended primarily for the purposes of television;
- Fiction projects of a total duration or user experience of minimum 90 minutes, animation of a total duration or user experience of minimum 24 minutes and creative documentaries of a total duration or user experience EN
of minimum 50 minutes intended primarily for the purposes of Digital platform exploitation. For projects presenting a user experience in a non-linear format (e.g. Virtual Reality), these minimums do not apply.
The digital platform is addressing the following types of projects: animation, creative documentaries and fiction projects intended for multiple screen-based devises, interactive projects, linear and non-linear web-series and narrative virtual reality projects.
- Production activities of a short film of a maximum length of 20 minutes providing support to emerging talent
The Call for Proposals has one deadline. The application for support must be submitted and received between the date of the publication of the Call for Proposals and 02/02/2017, 12.00 noon (midday Brussels time), the date of closure of the Call for Proposals.
The duration of the project is until 36 months from the date of submission.
4. AWARD CRITERIA
Points will be allocated out of a total of 100 on the basis of the following weighting:
Relevance and European added-value (20 points)
• Approach of the company to develop at European and international level a slate (package) of 3 to 5 projects
Quality of the content and activities (20 points)
• Quality of the slate of projects, quality of the development strategy, quality of the financing strategy and its European dimension
Dissemination of project results (20 points)
• The European and international distribution and marketing strategy
Organisation of the projects' team (10 points)
• Distribution of the roles and responsibilities of the creative team vis-à-vis the specific objectives of the proposed action
Impact and sustainability (10 points)
• Feasibility potential of the slate of projects
Innovative character (20 points)
• Capacity of the company to be innovative in its activities
Additional "automatic" points for:
1) an applicant company established in a country with low production capacity (10 extra points)
2) an applicant company established in a country with medium production capacity (5 extra points)
The total budget available is EUR 12.5M €. The financial contribution awarded is a subsidy.
The minimum contribution per action under these Guidelines is of EUR 70.000.
In case of a Slate without a Short Film project, the contribution is limited to a maximum of EUR 200.000. EN
In case of a Slate of only creative documentary projects without a Short Film project, the amount is limited to EUR 150.000.
The financial contribution awarded will in no event exceed 50% of the total eligible development costs of the slate submitted by the applicant.
If a short film project is added to the Slate, the maximum contribution per action is EUR 210.000 and in case of a creative documentary Slate, the amount is limited to EUR 160.000.
The minimum financial contribution which may be awarded to a project of the slate is EUR 10,000€ and the maximum is up to 60,000€, provided the amount does not exceed 50% of the eligible costs of the project. If a short film is added to the slate, the maximum financial contribution for the short film is up to 10,000€, provided the contribution does not exceed 80% of the eligible costs of production of this project.
6. DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
The deadline for sending applications is 02/02/2017.
Proposals must be received not later than 12.00 noon (midday Brussels time) on the relevant deadline, using the online application form (eForm).
No other method of submission of an application will be accepted.
Applicants shall ensure that all the documents requested and mentioned in the eForms are provided.
7. FULL DETAILS
The full text of the guidelines together with the application forms can be found at the following Internet address: https://eacea.ec.europa.eu/creative-europe/funding/support-for-development-slate-funding-2017_en
Applications must comply with all the terms of the guidelines and be submitted on the eForms provided.