The present call for proposals is subject to:
the availability of the funds after the adoption of the budget for 2020 by the budgetary authority
1. OBJECTIVES AND DESCRIPTION
This notice is based on the Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on establishing the Creative Europe Programme (2014-2020)1.
Within the specific objective of promoting transnational circulation, one of the priorities of the MEDIA Sub- programme is the following:
Operating transnationally and internationally and promoting transnational circulation and mobility. The MEDIA Sub-programme shall provide support for the following:
Create and operate a network of cinemas.
2. ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS
The scheme is open to cinema networks. The cinema network is a group of European independent cinemas developing, through the medium of a legally constituted co-ordination entity, joint activities in the area of screening and promoting European films. In particular, this coordination entity shall ensure the operation of a communication and information system between the cinemas. To be eligible, the cinema network must represent at least 100 cinemas situated in at least 20 countries participating in the MEDIA Sub-programme.
A European independent cinema is a company, association or organisation with a single or several screens based in countries participating in the MEDIA Sub-programme and which operates under the same company name. The screening of films should be the principal activity of the participant or division of the participant's organisation.
The network and the participating cinemas must be owned and continue to be owned, whether directly or by majority participation, by nationals of countries participating to the MEDIA Sub-programme and registered in one of these countries.
Only these European independent cinemas shall be eligible as participants of the network:
- They are first run cinemas (programming European films in first run, within a maximum period of twelve months after the first national release). Those cinemas which dedicate a maximum of 30% of their screenings to retrospectives or re-releases may be eligible ;
- That have been open to the public for a minimum of 6 months;
- That have a ticketing and entry declaration system ;
- That have at least one screen and 70 seats ;
- That had at least 300 screenings per year for single-screen cinemas and 520 screenings per year for
multi-screen cinemas (cinemas in operation for a period of at least 6 months per year), and at least 30 screenings per month for summer / open air cinemas (cinemas in operation for less than 6 months per year) ;
In order to meet, as a group, the above eligibility criteria , different cinemas may be allowed to pool their results. The circumstances under which this may occur must be clearly defined by the applicant in its application an in the accompanying draft guidelines.
All applicants must be registered in one of the countries participating in the MEDIA Sub-programme and owned directly or by majority participation, by nationals from such countries.
When a company is publicly listed, the location of the stock exchange will be taken into account to determine its nationality.
Only applications from legal entities established in one of the following countries are eligible as long as all conditions referred to in Article 8 of the Regulation establishing the Creative Europe Programme are met:
- EU Member States and overseas countries and territories which are eligible to participate in the Programme pursuant to Article 58 of Council Decision 2001/822/EC;
- Acceding countries, candidate countries and potential candidates benefiting from a pre- accession strategy, in accordance with the general principles and general terms and conditions for the participation of those countries in European Union programmes established in the respective Framework Agreements, Association Council Decisions or similar agreements;
- EFTA countries which are members of the EEA, in accordance with the provisions of the EEA Agreement;
- The Swiss Confederation, on the basis of a bilateral agreement to be concluded with that country;
- Countries covered by the European Neighbourhood Policy in accordance with the procedures established with those countries following the framework agreements providing for their participation in European Union programmes.
The Programme shall also be open for bilateral or multilateral cooperation actions targeted at selected countries or regions on the basis of additional appropriations paid by, and specific arrangements to be agreed upon with, those countries or regions.
The Programme shall permit cooperation and joint actions with countries not participating in the Programme and with international organisations which are active in the cultural and creative sectors such as UNESCO, the Council of Europe, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development or the World Intellectual Property Organisation on the basis of joint contributions for the realisation of the Programme's objectives.
The Agency may select proposals from applicants in non EU countries, provided that, on the date of the award decision, agreements have been signed setting out the arrangements for the participation of those countries in the programme established by the Regulation referred to above.
(Updated list of countries that fulfil the conditions referred to in Article 8 of the Regulation and that the Commission has started negotiations with can be found on the following link: http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/creative-europe/library/eligibility-organisations-non-eu-countries_en )
3. ELIGIBLE ACTIVITIES
Cinemas' network should enable the following activities:
- Networking activities: information, animation and communication.
- Provide financial support to participating cinemas implementing eligible activities listed below:
- Actions aiming at promoting and screening European films.
- Educational activities aiming at raising awareness among young cinema-goers.
The duration of the action and of the period of eligibility of costs is 12 months, running from 1st January until 31st December 2021.
Only actions and their activities taking place in the MEDIA countries are eligible
4. AWARD CRITERIA
Eligible applications will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
1. Relevance and European added-value (35)
This criterion assesses the network strategy to achieve the general objectives of the call for proposals including in terms of the definition of specific long term/short term specific objectives. This criterion will also assess the quality of the approach to monitor the achievement of those objectives including through the definition of key performance indicators.
2. Quality of the content and activities (20):
This criterion assesses the potential efficiency and effectiveness of the activities to be implemented and the extent to which they are embedded in the strategy of the network including via a clear intervention logic.
3. Communication and dissemination (40)
This criterion evaluates the approach of the network to communicating, disseminating and sharing its activities, results, knowledge and best practices both between the members and outside of the network.
4. Quality of the Network (5)
This criterion assesses the extent to which the governance, management, and organisation of the network will ensure the effective implementation of its strategy and activities.
The total budget available is EUR 10.900.000.
The EU grant is limited to a maximum co-financing rate of 50% of total eligible costs.
6. DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
The deadline for sending applications is 28/05/2020 (postmark date).
Proposals must be submitted by the relevant deadline, using the application form published on the Agency website. No other method of submission of an application will be accepted.
Applicants shall ensure that all the documents requested and mentioned in the application are provided.
7. FULL DETAILS
The full text of the guidelines together with the application forms can be found at the following Internet address:
Applications must comply with all the terms of the guidelines and be submitted on the application form provided.
The application package containing all the application forms and the annexes must be sent to the Agency by post on the relevant deadline, to the following address:
Education, Audiovisual & Culture Executive Agency
Creative Europe Programme (2014–2020)
MEDIA Sub-programme – CINEMA NETWORK SCHEME Avenue du Bourget 1
BE – 1049 Brussels