Start date: Jun 1, 2015,
End date: May 31, 2017
We are a public pre-school and primary school. Our teachers and pupils are bilingual. We have designed a project for our school to be multilingual. We would like to offer our pupils the possibility to know, understand and speak other languages that surround them. We want to pay special attention to English, which our students begin studying their first year in our school at the age of three. We want the English language to be an integral part of their lives. We are currently implementing a CLIL (content and Language Integrated Learning) project to teach Art in English. One of our main objectives will be to utilize the CLIL methodology in all of the other subject areas. We will teach some lessons or part of the subjects in English. We will also use this language for school's daily routines, for example: the date, the weather, school menu, agenda, parts of the school… Little by little English will be an important part of their lives. The second part of our project will be to learn other closer languages such as French. We also promote the participation of immigrant pupils and their families to teach us some basic words in their languages, so our kids can be more tolerant and respectful of other cultures that differ from ours. We want to open our pupils’ eyes to a multilingual and multicultural Europe. We will offer a solid base for their future studies in the rest of the European countries and enhance their employment opportunities.
Our main objectives are:
- To use a new teaching methodology that adapts our school to the European standard of using a foreign language, English, as the prominent vehicular language of the school.
- To improve the results of English key competences exams.
- To provide professional development for the faculty in foreign language teaching methodology (English).
- To improve our school's organization to optimize leanring and results.
- To use new technologies of communication and information in a multilingual school.
- To use English as the vehicular language in the subject areas of Science, Mathematics, Physical Education, Music, Art and History.
Our project is starting but it will never end. It will be part of our permanent life and identity at school. As the North American writer Frank Harris said “Every new language is like an open window that shows a new view of the world and expands your attitude towards life”
Get Access to the 1st Network for European Cooperation